Friday, October 15, 2010

Everyone has a little Cheshire Cat

"You see, a dog growls when he is angry and wags his tail when hes pleased. Now I growl when I'm pleased and wag my tail when I'm angry. Therefore, Im mad"
 
The cat that remains remarkable in the book of Alice In Wonderland, is The Cheshire Cat. You see, the cat is the only character in the entire story that really listens to Alice. Cheshire is mainly teaching Alice, the rules of Wonderland (Underland) and with his remarks, he is indeed doing his job. The cat of the duchess he is, but what is he really based off of? Perhaps its the paintings of an artist whom created pictures of lions grinning, or perhaps it was based off of a carving in the Croft church.Croft Church has a sedile - a seat for the clergy built into the wall - at one end of which is a carved stone face of a cat or lion. Seen from a pew it has a wide smile. But if you stand up, the grin seems to disappear, just as it eventually does in "Alice in Wonderland". No one quite knows. 
 
    I indeed love the Cheshire Cat, it was like fate for me to love the heck out of him. When I first watched the original movie, I seemed to have an addiction to the way 'Chessur' talked and the way he helped out Alice. I believe everyone has a little Cheshire watching over them and guiding them through the rules of life let alone Wonderland. While Cheshire seems infinite in my life, he teaches me the rules of life. My conscious you can call him, and perhaps that's what he was in Alice In Wonderland, Im not sure though. 
 
Cheshire can disappear and reappear, and grin largely. But if you ever really pay attention, when he leaves or disappears he tends to leave his smile behind. I adore that. Why? Because its like a sense of hope, a sense that hes still there and that Alice isnt alone. Understand? If you realized, Carroll's favorite saying was, "To Grin Like a Cheshire Cat" I tend to use it often when someone I know doesn't feel quite well and often at times I use it when talking to my mother. You never quite know what to expect when you realize that the Cheshire Cat appeared and might do something 'mad'. 
 
Cheshire Cat: I went to a hunting party once, I didn't like it. Terrible people. They all started hunting me!
Alice: Life must be hard for you.
Cheshire Cat: But I grin and bear it!
   

No comments:

Post a Comment