Thursday, October 7, 2010

Degree or Not Degree?

Come on now!
 Dont students have enough stress already?

Now the HSGQE, (high school graduation qualifying exam), is supposed to tell us students that if we pass all three sections of the HSGQE, we pass all parts of the requirements to receive a diploma in the State of Alaska. Dont us students spend enough time getting our assignments graded by teachers? Obviously not, since we have to take the HSGQE twice a year, once in the fall and once in the spring. Now, they say that us students must take the HSGQE for the first time in the spring of the 10th grade since the HSGQE at the 10th grade will generate a score for the graduation requirement and a score for assessing the student's performance based upon the Grade Level Expectations for a 10th grader. Sort of rediculous but then again, Alaska just has some tweaks to it that we end up having to do this stuff. 

    The three sections that we HAVE to pass in order to graduate are the basic Writing, Reading, and Math. I just finished taking the math HSGQE test this morning, and I doubt that I'll pass. However, it was fairly easy and there were only 4 questions that I wasnt sure on, either way I have one more year to take it, and hopefully Ill pass it if I dont pass it this time. Talk about stressful. 
  
HSGQE: Telling us when we can graduate.
WHAT ARE YOU MY FATHER?!

First try I took the test, I only passed the reading and writing sections. But once I got to math, I hit bottom pretty darn hard too. It takes basic skills to pass this test but teachers seem to take it to the full maximum in shoving symbols down our throats and in our heads. So its like, "dont worry you'll pass it", to "you need this this oh and that too!" Its just too much, though math is actually somewhat useful in your life. But only if you plan on working at a store or doing taxes. As far as Im concerned, the type of job I plan on getting involves photography not math. 

      The HSGQE really stresses me out as well as everyone else. But often at times you realize that you can pass it, you can graduate; You just need to get out of Alaska.
   

No comments:

Post a Comment